Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Really!

I discovered yesterday that it didn't matter if I was ready or not, the leaves are turning color and falling to the ground.  There is a little flutter in my heart as I look in the rear view mirror while driving down the road and see them dancing behind me as I travel.  It is quite apparent that this year has flown by, and Mother Nature is not concern of my inability to keep up and wrap my head around the fact that my life this year has been a total whirlwind.  

Watching my four little grandsons grow is as most of you can relate a wild ride.  They are starting to become little people, you can see their personalities start forming, share experiences and enjoy them without all the work of raising children in todays world.  I had a "date" with the youngest one last week and it was pure delight as he blew kisses to the girls at the shop and announced there were "bock-bocks" (chickens) at Smith's Mercantile.  

This morning while listening to the radio while investigating the world online the woman doing the news had the nerve to say there are 97 days till Christmas.  What, less that one hundred day?  How can that be?  I have things to do, there is a garden to finish, tired pots of flowers that must go away, deck furniture, what happened?  I'm not done with summer!  There is so much I still want to do.

One of the events of this year is cleaning out my mother in laws house.  She had a 97 year journey and many blessings.  We found a quilt that none of us had ever seen.  It is a friendship quilt, with delicate embroidery of thirty women.  This quilt is in very good condition for as old as it is (we are thinking maybe ninety years) but there is no label, no note, and we will never know the story behind it.  A wedding quilt, perhaps it was made when someone moved away, we will never know.  But what I do glean from this is that women for many generations have been creating with fabric, honoring their friends and family with their efforts.  

We all quilt for multiple reasons, and one of the best is that it lasts, it is a labor of love, all those memories and stories are wrapped up in them.  Labels are a good thing, notes folded inside would be a good thing, and sharing is a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment